King of Excellent (according to Scaryduck)

Thursday, September 21

Proper Job (not)

When I entered the big wide world, I was naïve. I believed that people were there to do their jobs correctly, and like me, everyone wanted to help people when and wherever they could. Now I know the truth. I have come to the conclusion that 3 professions are crooked. There’s no other word for it, just plain crooked. There isn’t an example of a person in the chosen profession who isn’t on the make. Let me show you what I mean…

Dentists

Dentists are a prime example of case and point. I didn’t really need to visit a dentist. I wasn’t prepared to pay £40 for the little nazi to tut and hurumph over the despicable state of my teeth, when I knew that they were ok. The only thing I’d known since my teens was that my wisdom teeth were going to cause me problems. So when they did start to make my life hell, a visit to a local dentist was required. She promptly found a multitude of (in my opinion non-existent) sins, and to this day I have a sharp filling at the back of my teeth, constant ache throughout my gum on that side, and no dentist prepared to tell me if anything’s wrong. I have visited 4 dentists since, each saying that they’d look into the pain, and all 4 failing to find anything wrong. Oh, except for the mysterious filling required far away from the problem area. See? All on the make…

Councillors

I have repeatedly made it clear that councillors are only any good to those with money, and will only do something if it benefits them. Where I used to live was classed as a cushion boundary, a 5 mile zone outside of a national park that carries the same rules as if living within it. This means that a housing estate can’t be built within view of the natural scenery, which makes perfect sense at the time. I looked into extensions, I know people who did the same, and I even know of a few people refused permission to put up a satellite dish (!). The simple fact, I was told, was that if it needed planning permission, forget it. So, local council friend and kitchen fitter buys a plot of land 2 doors away, and miraculously gets planning permission for a 4 bedroom house. Meanwhile his other next door neighbour gets refused building a porch. See? All on the make...

Insurance companies

We all need car insurance. We are recommended to get house insurance or travel insurance. We choose to get pet insurance or breakdown insurance or life insurance. Whatever the protection, however much we pay, whatever the case may be, when it comes to paying out, they’ll find a clause that means they don’t have to. I’d like to be travelling one day comprehensively insured, through a green light at a junction, and a joyrider with his newly stolen Vauxhall Nova ploughs into me in full view of the pursuing police officers. You can be sure, even with the statement from the police; the felon convicted of and locked up for the crime and witnesses proving that the accident wasn’t your fault, your insurance company will let you know that you were failing to wear pink or it wasn’t the second Tuesday of the month, so they don’t have to pay out. See? All on the make…

Got any more?