King of Excellent (according to Scaryduck)

Wednesday, June 28

Do as I say, not as I do.

Pretty well ever since I've been into computers, I've enjoyed telling others what not to do. Be it how to complete a level in the latest Codemasters epic, or how to install the latest 8Mb broadband wireless router. It was kind of logical for me to get into teaching then, wasn't it.

One thing my students always used to comment on was the fact I didn't do as I preached. Normally it was down to experience, but I always know that one day it'll come back to bite me on the arse.

Today was that day.

Do not, no matter how good you are, download some dodgy program into your phone. I thought I was getting the Symbian equivalent of Need For Speed Underground 2. Instead I got a virus, oh hang on, 2 virii. A rather infamous one called I-Love-U, and a lesser known one called Skulls. To be pedantic it was actually the strain of Skulls called Skulls.N, and it came with the I-Love-U virus as well.
As you can see, it cattles the menu. It also crashes the phone all the time. I couldn't even back it up. I lost everything. My contacts, my pictures, my videos, my sounds. Everything. I now have most of it back, but I also have F-Secure's antivirus. I will get the full version, but at the moment I will make do with the shareware version. I will also backup more then once every 6 months.