King of Excellent (according to Scaryduck)

Monday, February 5

On American pomp and circumstance

So, last night, was the American extravaganza that is the Superbowl. I have to admit I stayed up to watch most of it, and I was treated to one of the most boringist sporting spectacles since every other FA Cup final.

Now don't get me wrong, I have to admit I used to enjoy American Football. Back in my teens I would be an avid supported of the L.A. Raiders (a team that no longer exists, heading north to Oakland), and every Sunday evening I would tune into Channel 4's American Football programme to catch up on the scores. I even stayed up all night in 1986 to watch Superbowl 20, and had a betamax tape of the first quarter because what with the lead up, that's all I could fit on an E-180. I watched with glee as the Bears took the game with such players as Walter Payton, Jim McMahon and the legendary "Refridgerator" William Perry.

ITV had the dubious honour of televising the game, and after hearing Billy Joel cat-wail the national anthem (I grimaced more then once at his out-of-tuneyness) I enjoyed the first minute as Devin Hester (no I've never heard of him either) took the first touchdown in the first minute of the game. I thought "this is going to be good," and I was wrong. How wrong could I be? I couldn't be much more wrong, as I sat there being cured of insomnia... I was bored beyond belief. But as I watched, references were made to a big game to be played later this year in the newly opened Wembley Stadium. I began to wonder, just how well it would work in this country?
  • Would the beer be the price of the stuff stateside? I doubt it, thinking people will have to pay upwards of £3 for a flat lager served in a plastic glass.
  • Do the British really think they are going to be prepared to sit in the 90,000 seat stadium with the other 34 people that are willing to pay for a ticket.
  • As the wind blows around the North West London suburb, children will be sitting shivering as fathers assure them it is fun.
In short, it's going to be about as popular as football (yes, soccer) is stateside. *cough*David Beckham*cough*