King of Excellent (according to Scaryduck)

Wednesday, April 30

80s Music

The 80s were an interesting decade. What started off as a throwback to the 70s (obviously!) with the punk era ended with the dance sensations that were groups like black box. Music was a direct reflection on culture, and I don't think that it's directly effected fashion before or since. Watch any brat pack 80s video and be honest, you watch it partly for the most excellent soundtracks. The breakfast club, St Elmo's fire (where are you now, John Parr?) and Ferris Bueller's day off all had astounding soundtracks that went on to become hit albums in their own rights.
I have to admit I was a bit single minded when it came to the 80s. I started later then most, with The Thompson Twins (or Thompson Twats, as my sister would call them). I nicked my sister's 'Into the Gap' and listened to it religiously and even learned the words. I still know them today.

I also became a huge fan of Mark Knopfler's work, after my father introduced me to Industrial Disease. Once again I got all of their albums and I have to admit this was probably one of their great untold tracks. It still tickles me today.

And finally, probably the best music in my humble opinion to come out of the 80s was a little known US artist my father also introduced me to called Bruce Hornsby.
Enjoy.