King of Excellent (according to Scaryduck)

Monday, October 6

The difference between English (US) and English (UK)

Don't you hate it when an installation asks you "Which language would you like?" and then offers you English (US). And so, here is my guide to American English
  • Take the brightly colored aluminum elevator from the center of the first floor to the penthouse - Take the brightly coloured aluminium lift from the centre of the ground floor to the top.
  • The 1941-1945 war, better known as World War 2 - The 1939-1945 war, better known as World War 2.
  • I'm going to go and get pissed - I'm going to go and get angry.
  • Have a nice day - I'm so glad I've got your money, I really don't care if you have a nice day or not.
  • I might go for a game of Basketball or Baseball this weekend. I'll also watch the football game - I might go for a game of netball or rounders this weekend, but I'm not a girl. I'll also watch the American football game, where the ball spends most of it's time in people's hands.
  • The only major incident was a case of friendly fire - We're crap at shooting at enemies, and hit our own so often we've even coined a term for it.
  • We've made a profit of a billion dollars - We've made a profit of a thousand, million dollars. Only another 999 times to make it a true billion.
  • I ran the yellow light, and next thing I knew I'd crashed and my automobile's gas was spread all across the pavement - I drove through an amber light, and next thing I knew my car's petrol was spread all across the tarmac.
  • I'm just going to the bathroom - Not for a bath, but to use your toilet. Even if you don't have a bath in there. Or a shower.
  • "If you know the extension of the person you're calling, please dial it, then press the pound sign" - Pound? Pound??? Oh, you mean hash!
  • I'll just get some lemonade out of the icebox - I'll just get some Sprite/7up out of the fridge.
  • Tea - Earl Grey/herbal shit.
  • And finally, being a pain in the ass - nothing to do with discomfort for a donkey.
Oh yeah, and today's the 6th of October, not the 10th of June.