King of Excellent (according to Scaryduck)

Thursday, May 22

On cock-er-nee sayings

I speak like a cockney. My father is partly to blame, and a steadfast supply of rhyming slang was provided to me when I was a child. Interestingly, my father now seems to have forgotten the rhyming slang however. I still ask for a 'Butchers' when I want to look at something. I say that I need to pop for a 'Jimmy' when I need the loo. I also sometimes feel a bit 'Tom and Dick," which leaves me a bit 'cattled.'
In recent years things have changed a little. In the Pub I can now ask for a pint of Nelson, or a pint of Winona (work it out) and have the barmaid looking puzzled. One saying that I use regularly is "Robert's you're father's brother," and another that is quite often used is a mutation on the great Dogs Bollocks. Something like the "Poodle's Privates," the "Mutt's Nuts" or the "Doggy's Danglies" all come into play. I'm out and about most of the day, so this is only a quick post, but I'd like to know if you have any favourites I might not have heard.