King of Excellent (according to Scaryduck)

Friday, January 30

Bits and bobs

Just thought I'd tidy up a few things that wouldn't require a full day by themselves.

First and foremost, BLS sent me a picture of her and Cynthia, which I thought I'd share with you.


I have been working on a PC for someone for nearly 2 weeks. To say it's been a nightmare is an understatement. It had viruses. I took it home, cleaned it up, and returned it. It then started BSDing and bleeping on startup. I took it home again, cleaned the main board, it was ok. I took it back, and it still did it. I got someone to sonically clean the nicotine from the board (the owner's a heavy smoker) and put it back together, and again all seemed well. It then started to do it again. I have now ordered a new board and RAM for the customer. All because I moved the sodding thing!

I have also been working on Macs. Don't let anyone tell you how easy these things are to use. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely bit of kit. Basically a really high quality 21" flatscreen, with a CD slot in the side and a small white keyboard and mouse. The customer has his own company, and uses Autocad. Autocad, however, doesn't work on a Mac unless you have windows installed as well. I did a search on a few forums (I was on my way there, bdum tish), and the general consensus is don't use a Mac for CAD. This didn't help me, but I did find a program that allows the customer to open the drawings at least and print them.

I have been getting up too early this week. It hasn't been too bad, if it weren't for a couple of things. Firstly, IT'S STILL DARK. This is not natural. Secondly, the cat who sneezed on me this morning just before the alarm went off meant that getting up was a lot easier.

Finally, I'd like to welcome my new readers. You know who you are...